Why it’s so important to shop for a Healthy Mattress.
Day #225 of #365 Days of Feng Shui
Are you shopping for a new mattress? Maybe for yourself or for your kids?
There maybe a few things you may want to take into consideration regarding mattresses of today.
Many ‘regular’ mattresses are actually ladened with chemicals, mostly flames retardants including PVC and formaldehyde, both carcinogens.
And these chemicals off-gas for the entire life-span of your mattress.
Eeek! I know right.
What does that means for you and your family?
So even little bubbas from the first onset are exposed to these chemicals for long periods of time, day in day out. And so are you. You are consistently exposed and breathing in the off-gas of these chemicals for long periods of time, everyday.
Some Common Hazards of ‘regular’ mattresses.
- Lung irritants
- Liver, kidney and brain toxins.
- Can cause nausea, dizziness, skin irritation.
- Hormone disruptors
Why inner Spring Mattresses are also a concern
Most people sleep on an inner springs mattress which has the potential to cause your own electromagnetic field to become erratic. Leading to fatigue and lowered immune system.
The springs can also become a conductor of electricity and can carry a voltage from electrical wires. These can be present in your wall and your mattress becomes a conductor if place against walls where grouped wires are present. The electric voltage disrupt your cells leading to illness and restless sleep.
The good news is…
There are alternatives!
Choosing mattresses without metal springs and made from natural fibres are the best and healthiest options.
When shopping for a new mattress be wary of…
- Terms that mention ‘hypoallergenic’ this does not mean it is chemical free it only means that the mattress may have a lower known allergic component in it. Also the term is not an authorised/certified or medically categorised term.
- The label ‘Latex’ is used for both natural latex or rubber latex and synthetic latex or SBR.
- Never scotch-guard or use water repellent agents as an extra service for your mattress – the chemicals in these have been linked to developmental delay.
- Memory foam overlays – according to Toxic Bedroom author Walter Bader – they emit approx 61 volatile organic compound (VOC) chemicals.
Here are some healthy mattress ‘ingredients’:
Latex – natural
Some healthy mattress suppliers
P.S. If you loved this post please share it on your Facebook or twitter page by clicking on the icon below. Or leave a comment in the box.