Wallpaper caused many deaths via design Feng Shui
Day #324 of #365 Days of Feng Shui
Facts, Stats, Quotes and Inspiration
Wallpaper in the Victorian age was responsible for a large amount of death’s.
I know it’s a little bit morbid but a great example of why it’s so important to look at the safety of your furnishings and learn from past mistakes.
In the 1850’s there was a huge rise in having bright colours for furnishings due to the introduction of lamps and light within the household. And elaborate wallpaper became very popular, in particular the colour – Shields Green.
One man created this colour pigment which sold very well as it was long lasting. Due to the colours popularity they started putting the pigment into all types of decorative furnishings – though wallpaper was the most used.
People started to become very ill and died as a result of furnishing their homes.
This was because Shield Green was made from arsenic.
One environmental scientist from the SBS TV programme ‘Hidden Killers of the Victorian Home’ said there could be as much as 2.5kg of arsenic per living room.
Ingestation of arsenic could be from inhalation of dust, mouth or absorption through the skin therefore it became very fatal for the occupants of many homes.
It was unknown at the time that arsenic was poisonous though soon people started to link the two together. Shield green was never officially banned but with pure consumer power it was irradiated from the market.
(from documentary Hidden Secrets of Victorian Homes, SBS)
I found this so interesting purely because we are still using toxic chemicals in our furnishings e.g. formaldehyde, which is a carcinogen, in mattresses.
The health of your home and living environment is directly linked to your health.
Organic and people friendly products and furnishings are a move in the healthy direction.
P.S. If you loved this post then share it with your friends on Facebook and twitter by clicking on the icons below. And share your experiences by commenting in the box! Mwah x