Performing a Space Clearing ritual is a very powerful practice, one you can do to cement your intentions and create a space that feels clear, welcoming, peaceful and abundant.
It’s likened to stamping your dreams and desires into your space and asking for it to hold this on your behalf. A way of imprinting your wishes into your home environment.
A Space Clearing is a ritual or ceremony performed with the intention of clearing your space of any old negative energetic patterns. These patterns can be created from the building of your home or biz, (e.g. frustrated dealings with contractors) the history of the land, past occupants or current circumstances or events. This is seperate to geopathic stress as energies addressed in Space Clearings are more transient than geopathic stresses.
A home or building is a living breathing entity and hears and sees everything within its space. It will absorb the energy of it’s events within the fibres of its structure and can hold onto old patterns or energy. By clearing heavy energy and invoking positive energy, it helps to create a healthy space for you to flourish and thrive in.
Most cultures have Space Clearing rituals. And each culture will have a particular tool they associate with. Wiccans or Pagans are known to use their brooms to sweep the energy out of the home, hence witches on broomsticks and they also use herbs for burning. Australian Aboriginals use gum leaves for smoking ceremonies or sound with didgeridoo. Native Americans use sage for personal clearing. Most Christian based religions will use Frankincense and Myrrh incense or resin as well as Holy Water to clear and heighten the energy. So it’s a very ancient ritual adopted by most cultures.
Tools you may wish to use during your space clearing ritual.
- Sage stick – unless you are Native American, using sage (smudge sticks) is considered cultural appropriation unless associated with someone of this culture. Sage sticks were never used traditionally to cleanse homes in this way. And I’ve made the mistake in the past, of not realising this appropriation, the significance and sacredness of the use of this herb, and now do not recommend this for a space clearing unless you are from this culture.
- Dried herbs – depending on your culture, you will have certain herbs that have been used for particular ceremonies e.g. Rosemary is European which is a great cleansing herb, activates memories and stimulates circulation and has been used traditionally when someone has been ill or have died within the house. Lavender has been used to calm a space and aid in restful sleep and is associated with nature diva connections. You may want to dry your own herbs and use them to burn through your home. Though ensure you have a bowl to catch the embers.
- Resins – the best way to burn resins are on a charcoal block in a specific bowl designed for this type of burning. Resins date back to ancient times. Frankincense has been traded for centuries through Africa, India and the Middle Eastern countries. Traditionally it’s used regularly in Greek and Christian religious ceremonies. Frankincense is known for it’s cleansing and purifying properties globally, great to use for cleansing spaces.
- Bells, bowls and sound – you can use anything that makes a sound, pleasant or not. I have some hand held kids bells, a crystal singing bowl and I’ve clapped my hands in order to clear stagnant energy. Sound is a great way to shift the resonance of a space. You could even blast your favourite songs through your home.
- Vibrational Room Sprays – this is one of my go-to’s. I make up personal vibrational rooms sprays for every Geomancy audit + Space Clearing client’s home. Not one spray is the same and I usually allow the house to tell me what it needs. You can purchase vibrational rooms sprays from a number of different flower essence companies. I used to sell a range, though are currently not available. If you would like a personalised one made up for you, please just message me via my facebook page
- Essential Oils – you can diffuse oils with the intention of clearing your space or you can make up a spray bottle to use your own personal blend. If you are spraying essential oils throughout your space you need to ensure you use a solubiliser to assist the oils to mix with the water. You also need to be cautious spraying over furniture and if you have any pets. Certain essential oils are particularly toxic to animals.
- Dancing – You can literally just use your body to clear your space. Dancing and twirling lifts the energy and raises the vibration. Put on your favourite music and dance through your home or twirl and swirl, dancing to your own rhythm.
- Pendulum – this is my favourite. I don’t do much without my pendulum and space clearing is one of my most regular services and modalities. If you haven’t or don’t know much about pendulum work or dowsing, I suggest choosing another tool as Pendulum work takes practice. If you’re a regular with a pendulum, you can move throughout your space, clearing as you go.
Here’s a simple ritual that you can do to cleanse your space and welcome in the new.
1) Firstly, open either all your windows or if you are in the cold of winter, just one or two. This will help in the clearing process but also stop your smoke alarm from going off if you decide to burn some ritual cleansing tools! And opening your windows provides great ventilation and helps to move stagnant energy.
2) Meditate and ground your energy. By meditating and grounding your energy you become centred, which provides you with the ability to connect with your space, move with the energy, and transform it. You can easily do this by sitting and focusing on your breath for just 5 minutes or more. Also taking your shoes off is the best way to perform your cleanse as this helps you to ground and connect. Grounding also helps you to become present with your space, something people often overlook.
3) You may wish to call in some ‘Spiritual Helpers’ to assist you in your cleansing ritual. This can be any Higher Energy you personally resonate with e.g. Angels, Spirit Guides, Ascended Masters etc.
4) Set your intention. It’s important you become clear on what it is that you wish to banish from your space, especially some main themes that you maybe experiencing eg. fear, anger, tension, neglect, self doubt. And then think about what you wish to invoke or welcome into your space and life e.g. happiness, abundance, joy. You may wish to write these down to make it a more tangible process.
5) Then with your chosen ritual tool, to start your clearing.
6) You can start either at your front door or from your Altar or ‘spiritual work station’. Whatever feels right for you. Then firstly clear yourself with your ritual tool by wafting the smoke, shaking your bells around your body etc, from your feet to your head. This helps to clear your personal energies and prepares you for the space clearing.
7) Grab your tool of choice, Light your herbs or resin and then start moving around your space, wafting the smoke, shaking the bells banging the bowls, dancing etc. I usually snake around each room of the home or biz in one direction, making sure you get into each nook and cranny as this is where stagnant energy loves to hang out. Also focus on areas which feel harder to move through. Go with your intuition and see where it takes you.
8) Whilst clearing your space, focus on the energies you wish to clear and also call for or ask for your positive intentions to infuse your space. This is where being present will be a must.
9) Once you have snaked through your entire home, complete your ritual by meditating, centring and sending gratitude to any Higher Spirits you have asked to help. Also, thank your home for providing you with a safe and supportive place in which to live.
Enjoy clearing your space. It’s a very beautiful process that helps you to connect with your home or biz space. It can help address the built up tension and transient heavier energies.
But if you feel you need an in-depth clearing or to address geopathic stress from geological faults, negative water courses, negative geomagnetic lines and more, then a Geomancy audit is recommended.
P.S. if you loved this post please share via your Facebook or Twitter by clicking on the icon below. And please share your story in the comment box too! Mwah to you x