Day #153 (General)
5 reasons why dining together helps to create a powerful family unit.
The dining room or area in your home is a very special family space.
Using this area regularly can have a huge positive impact on the whole of your family.
1) First and foremost, having a meal together at a table that is specifically intended for this purpose creates a space and intention of ‘coming together’ as a unit. This brings a sense of belonging for each individual member of the family and a sense that they matter and are important to the unit.
2) Helps to open up the communication between your family members. It’s usually a time to chat about your day and tell each other stories or ask questions.
3) It helps with in-taking of nutrients and helps to create a routine of eating well. When we have the intention to eat as a family it is usually with cooked home made food that is sustaining and filling.
4) Helps to connect the family to traditions and customs or cultural heritage. Families create memories from their love of favourite dishes or carry on tradition of their family’s heritage or generational recipes.
5) Eating meals together helps with processing and integration, this is symbolic by the act of eating. When we eat our bodies needs to process and integrate each mouthful and ingredient. You also do this on an intellectual, emotional and spiritual level when you come together to eat in this way. You process and integrate each persons experiences, as a parent you role model a healthy lifestyle, create a routine, language and literacy is processed, you teach your children the use of communication and interacting with others, and its a great time for you to monitor how your children or partner is going emotionally. You are all integrating each person’s experiences, behaviour, advice and moods etc creating a sacred space for your family to unite is empowering not only for yourself but for your whole family.
There will be more tips and information regarding how to create a harmonious dining area etc in the days and weeks to come.
P.S. Please share it on your Facebook, Twitter or any other social media site just for the LOVE of it.
And please share in the comments box below because sharing feels good.